In this episode, Bobbie Wasserman interviews Eva Pepitone, a determined homeowner who overcame a lengthy and complex code compliance issue to sell her home. A sale which was waylaid due to the bureaucratic challenges surrounding an unpermitted Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) on the property.
Throughout the conversation, Eva offers valuable insights and tips for listeners who may be experiencing a similar situation.
Amidst the national housing crisis, this conversation takes on particular significance as homeowners navigate complex zoning laws and regulations.
- Document Everything: Keep a an ongoing timeline. A well organized paper trail (digital and print) is one of the most important things you can do in your advocacy journey.
- Persistence Pays Off: Keep telling your story to anyone who will listen. During times when you want to give up or feeling overwhelmed, lean on your faith or other guiding principles for resolve.
- Research, Reach Out, Repeat: The knowledge you need is out there. The internet is a great resource to find the people, departments, and laws to get your issue resolved.
- Go Above the Chain of Command: For especially challenging issues, contact a higher governmental department. Their involvement can accelerate the process.
- Become Involved in Local Politics: Get to know the people who are in charge of local city and county rules, regulations, and laws.
- Be Respectful: It can be frustrating and emotions can run high, but keeping a cool head will serve you well.
We know the Single Lady Estates community will find Eva's story of overcoming hurdle after hurdle after hurdle inspiring. A good reminder that advocating for your home, your rights, and your well-being may not be easy, but is well worth the effort.
Bobbie Wasserman is the founder of Single Lady Estates® and host of the Single Lady Estates podcast. The mission of Single Lady Estates is to empower women in building financial stability for them and their families through homeownership. We do this by providing educational resources, advocacy efforts and connecting women with resources and networks that can help enhance the homeownership journey - buying, selling and life in between. To learn more about Single Lady Estates, we invite you to subscribe to the podcast and become a member of the Single Lady Estates community. https://singleladyestates.com